Sunday, February 7, 2010

Life Lesson #9: Fair food.


There is a reason the fair only comes once a year. Can you imagine being able to eat like that all the time?

On Saturday, some favorites and I headed out to the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire. I know what you're all thinking... I'm the coolest kid you know. I get that all the time. Not to make you more jealous, but this was my third year in a row. I should probably be dressing up and using "ye" at this point. I'll work on that.

I can't think of a better place to people watch than a medieval fair. These are the most amazing people you'll ever see. They dance, they delight, they dig in! Finally, after back-to-back despair of not being able to get my turkey leg (how can the fair sell out of turkey legs?!), I finally got my wish. It was magnificent. I think the fact that the leg is as big as my head and literally drips grease makes it better. Especially when washed down with about five pounds of curly frys and home-brewed soda. Yeah, it's my fattest day of the year. What about it?

Maybe this was animal cruelty, but I followed my feast with a camel ride. Last year, the elephant got its chance. This year, the camel just shined. Which is good because the carny-camel-handler was not my number one fan. Who actually holds on during a camel ride, sir? Really? It's much better to squeal and wave and pretend like you're riding a rollercoaster. Duh.

Which brings me to the life lesson part:
1) You know you want the funnel cake. Just do it. How often is funnel cake an option? Exactly. So do it.
2) The five year olds in line to ride the exotic animal have it right. Bragging rights straight ahead.
3) Sometimes you just can't follow all the rules, even if that means being the brunt of some very bitter remarks from the animal handler. Maybe I wouldn't be super peppy if I had to lead a camel in a circle all day, either.

No comments: