Sunday, July 5, 2009

Life Lesson #2: How to fake your adulthood.

At 18, you can vote. At 21, drink. These milestones are supposed to represent "adulthood," and yet plenty of us are hitting these benchmarks feeling like we still have a baby bottle in hand. Don't lie, you or someone you know still has that old glitter make-up or toy... I mean action figurines, somewhere in your room.

So what is it exactly that tips the scale? When do you go from being a child to being a grown-up?

People often point to many different events (buying a house, losing your virginity, going off to college) as the turning point, but I happen to believe that it's not that easy. Of course not, it's life, when is it ever that easy?

I have no quick and easy answer. I'm responsible, I know how to pay my bills on time and take care of my daily needs, yet I still enjoy jumping fences for that midnight swim like the adventurous kid I am. I'm not willing to give up that part of me, so I'm going to settle on "faking" it for a while. The solution? Balance, my friends.

1) There's facebook, and then there's linkedin.
"No adults allowed" is just not possible anymore, but there is clearly a social theme and professional theme to each of these Web sites. On linkedin.com, be prepared for Business Faith. She's got a growing list of experience and an education to match. On facebook.com however, well, Everyday Faith might've worn something silly to a themed party or climbed into a large bag. And there's photographic evidence to prove it. And while I could look stupid, and future employers might possibly see these glamorous moments, it's important to me to be myself. Just because I party does not mean I can't represent a business with class.
2) Today's day in the office can not handle last night's cleavage.
Perhaps "sexy" is best left out of the workplace. No other explanation needed.
3) Time to talk pretty.
Sometimes you meet those people that seem to speak two different languages: on and off the clock. When you're not working, feel free to use whatever colorful words you'd like. To each their own. But, when working, you're representing more than yourself, and your speech should match that.

College is a tricky and transitional time and there are no hard and fast rules. I love that.

No comments: