Monday, July 13, 2009

Life Lesson #3: Themed parties are just an excuse to play dress-up.


My costumes might've changed since I was a wee one. Over the years, I've traded in my wonder girl dress, my batman cape, and my power ranger (pink, in case you were wondering) costume for new, more versatile, characters. However, even though I can't fit into my old poodle skirt anymore, I still feel like many things have never changed. And really, college is just an excuse to revert back to the olden days of dress-up. Except this time, many have a beer in hand.

Interestingly enough, many of my most notable costumes have been characters that I knew of when I was a kid. I've been Tinkerbelle AND Waldo (Where's Waldo, if you need more of a reference). I also still take the opportunity to occassionally add some glitter (only when the costume calls for it, of course) or get creative with the make-up, just like I did circa six years old. Even spandex seems to make its return.

A sub life lesson: the most ridiculous costume at a party instantly becomes the coolest kid in the room. If you don't know that then you have never had the most ridiculous costume, now have you? EVERYONE, ladies, men, strangers, friends, will tell you how awesome you are. Slowly, the parts of your costume that are easily disassembled will be taken and worn by others. For some reason that person is always sweaty. And you my friend, are a hero.

Get creative. Make a fool of yourself. Buy a hippo inner tube and watch the sparks fly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patrice, Destiny, and Fran were thee life of the party! :)