Sunday, October 19, 2008

Now what do you want me to do this time?

I'm a public relations major, but lately I've been eating up the journalism aspect.

It probably has a lot to do with the amazing professor I have teaching my reporting class, and the adrenaline rush I get knowing my articles are read by such a huge audience in "The Alligator" as a contributing writer. It's time-consuming and challenging, and so valuable.

Yesterday I spent most of my day at a gay pride festival. Normally I wouldn't have much of a reason to go, but I'm reporting on the event for the paper. It was fantastic. Which brings me to what I love most about writing for the paper.

I love that I'm being sent on assignments that I wouldn't normally be involved with. I have to talk to people, to experience firsthand and to share it with others. In this past month alone it has lead me to run around campus in my underwear, to interview a Playboy playmate, to talk love with a sex educator and to discuss high heals with drag queens.

What a great gig.

No comments: